Don't Let Pancake Day Crêpe up on you
Don’t let Pancake Day crêpe up on you. Lean Bean has discovered some simple ways to transform your traditional stack of white floured, syrup drizzled and sugar loaded pancakes into a healthier form… and they will still be delicious too
I love breakfast, absolutely love it, it reminds me of ultimate comfort, cozy, warm mornings, wrapped in thick woolly socks with a coffee in hand, and if you’re lucky, pancakes. Nothing beats pancakes, and there’s a whole day dedicated to the food item. Pancake day, every year it lightens the post-Christmas slump, when I was a kid I’m pretty sure I ate the same pancake every year. Thin, flat like crepes smothered in sugar and lemon. Whilst they tasted delicious I’m sure my parents could have done without the hyper child aftermath. This isn’t necessarily the healthiest way to enjoy pancake cake why not try a few of the suggestions below.
DATE: Tuesday 28th February 2017
All pancake recipes are live on www.leanbeannutrition.com
6 ways to indulge your pancakes in the healthier way
1. Try vegetable pancakes: adding squash or parsnip puree or grated carrots to the batter mix are a delicious addition and adds sweetness. Eat the rainbow
2. Try banana pancakes. Super easy and healthy pancakes: 2 eggs + 1 mashed banana. Make them fluffier by adding 1/2 cup oats (+1/2 tsp baking powder) into the blender.
3. Switch up your flours : Wholemeal flour, oat flour, spelt flour, coconut flours, rye flour, ground almonds or buckwheat flour.
healthier toppings: try blueberries, greek yoghurt, nuts, seeds, nut butters.
4. Swap your milk from whole milk to skimmed milk, almond milk, hazelnut milk etc.
5. Add some protein powder: Adding to the sweetness of pancakes with an extra hit of protein. Protein is an essential macronutrient required for good health, it helps build, repair and maintain lean muscle mass. Protein in your diet can come from whole-food source or from supplements in the form of protein powders.
6. Be creative with your toppings: Greek yoghurt, banana, berries, nut butters, nuts, seeds, banana ice cream, honey, granola... or go savoury and try spinach pancakes and scrambled egg