1 cup oats (blended)
1 cup ground almonds
2 tbsp coconut oil
2 tbsp honey/ maple syrup
200g pitted ready to eat dates
180ml hot water
2 tsp vanilla extract
(Pinch Salt optional)
Either: melted >70% dark chocolate
120g raw cacao, 2 tsp honey, 2 tbsp cacao butter, 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Place your dates in a bowl and cover with hot water. Add the vanilla extract and leave to soak for at 4 hours or overnight.
- Shortcrust base: add the oats to a food processor and blend to form a flour. Add the almonds and continue to blend. In a saucepan heat the coconut oil and add the honey. Once melted remove from the heat and add the nutty oat flour. Stir until combined. If the mix is too wet, add additional oat flour.
- Press the dough into the bottom of a container and firmly press down with the back of a spoon or your fingers. Set aside in the fridge whilst you prepare the rest.
- Take your bowl of soaked dates and blend with a hand blender to form a caramel consistency
- Spread your caramel mix on top of your chilled shortcrust base and return to the fridge whilst you make your chocolate topping
- Topping: either melt some good quality (>70%) dark chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water, then spread on top of the caramel and allow to set.
- OR, in a sauce pan melt cacao butter and coconut oil, once melted add the honey and stir. Remove from the heat and stir in the cacao powder. Layer on top of the caramel and allow time to set in the fridge